Monday 28 June 2010

I'll be out of town for the next two days at the Kobe Workshop on RFMO Management of Tuna Fisheries, to be held at the Brisbane Convention Centre, Southbank.

RFMO stands for Regional Fisheries Management Organisation. These bodies number five in total. They are responsible for administering the ocean's fisheries to promote sustainable use of wild fish stocks.

Unfortunately, this isn't happening. A source tells me that the RFMOs "were recognised to be failing in their mandate to sustainably manage tuna stocks" and so these talks have been organised to address the failure. I'm not sure how many people will be attending, but I guess they'll number in the hundreds.

My plan is to write some stories for publication, and to that end I've approached a couple of editors with ideas.

I'll drive down to Brisbane early tomorrow. Conference registration starts at 8am and the workshop itself begins at 9am. I've organised a room at a nearby motel, and will stay overnight for the two-day event.

Pic information: Logo of Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA).

No comments: