Monday 22 February 2010

Back home, the energy expended over the past week is taking its time returning. There's a batch of ten interviews to transcribe and emails to send out. More importantly, there's the angle for the first story to consider.

I've been reading other journalists' accounts of the Media 2010 conference and so far there's been a few summations but little in the way of appraisal. Not sure how I'll handle the detail, but my feeling is that the piece should be a combination of the two approaches.

Maybe I'll lead with a quote from one of the main speakers and develop the theme of confusion among media operatives as to what to do in the face of dramatically falling revenues. Then there's the announcement that Fairfax had a lift in profits for the first half of the financial year. That story came out today.

Another thing that happened today is that Fairfax redesigned its web pages. The changes may warrant a video describing what's happened, but I think the average user will feel that it's more of a tweak than a redesign.

I can work that into the story, too. It's not that I'm deliberately focusing on Fairfax, but News didn't comment on the conference, as far as I can see. So it's a matter of using the material I gathered and doing my best.

Wait a few days and there should be something new. Right now I need a nap to recover from the rushing around of the last few days. It's good to be home.

No comments: